Sunday, June 30, 2019

It's summer! Are you ready for WITMonth?

WITMonth! WITMonth! It's almost WITMonth!

There are a few things going on this year... First and foremost, there are some new WITMonth banners and they are a slight step up from what they were back in 2014. (Can you believe it's year 6? Also when I say "slight", I mean "tremendous".) This year, you can pick whichever banner best suits your taste on any particular day... or none at all! What do you think of them? Any favorite?







We've also got the now-annual "WITMonth Database", covering titles published from September 2018 - August 2019. As always, if you spot any mistake or missing title from the database, feel free to comment, message, or email and I will add it as quickly as possible!

I'm also working to compile a crowdfunded "100 Best WIT". The rules are fairly simple:


Feel free to comment, email, Tweet, message, or smoke signal to get your favorites out. But remember... only the first ten count! Choose wisely.

I'm also hard at work on some new and cool projects for this year's WITMonth. Hopefully things will work out, but there's still a lot more work ahead. In the meantime, please let me know if you're interested in participating in any sort of readalong. It might be a bit tight, but we've still got some time to pick something!

Still so much work ahead... but best of all, so many great books to read too! What are your plans for this August?

15 comments:

  1. Lovely images! I'll look forward to using them. I have three books waiting for August: Purge by Sofi Oksanen, Paradise of the Blind by Duong Thu Huong, and Kalpa Imperial by Angélica Gorodischer. I have a few others on my TBR pile, but those are the ones I've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be combining my WIT participation with my geographical exploration personal challenge, so I'll be reading mainly Brazilian women authors this August. I also still have a few #EU27Project authors to go through, so that should keep me busy and out of mischief. And I definitely want to take part in your list of recommendations! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really excited! Beautiful buttons this year - I will try to use them all :)

    Ramping up to get my WIT library display out again this year. And planning to read and review a bunch of WIT from my own stacks as well. It's my favourite reading time of the year. Look forward to seeing what else you have in store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohooooo! I can't wait for WIT Month! I have several titles lined up that I bought earlier this year. They look real weird and great! And I've also got an Alejandro Zambra book, translated by Megan McDowell, that I've been saving up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's my 10. I've tried to go for a mixture of genres:
    1. The Gringo Champion – Aura Xilonen
    2. The Little Girl on the Ice Floe – Adelaide Bon
    3. Die, My Love – Ariana Harwicz
    4. Chernobyl Prayer – Svetlana Alexievich
    5. The Door – Magda Szabo
    6. Human Acts – Han Kang
    7. Frida Kahlo: The Story of Her Life – Vanna Vinci
    8. Eve Out of Her Ruins – Ananda Devi
    9. Things We Lost in the Fire – Mariana Enriquez
    10. Purge – Sofi Oksanen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here are my 10 for 2019 - let me know if you need more details https://www.facebook.com/168680847058123/posts/421487881777417?sfns=mo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've added my 10 recommendations for the Top 100, but of course I've just realised how many I've left out! Arrrrgggh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops, meant to add link:
    https://findingtimetowrite.wordpress.com/2019/07/28/nominations-for-wit-top-100/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just shared your tweet with the wrong hashtag, go me! But I am going to manage to join in for the first time ever, with "Convenience Store Woman" slotted in amongst two other challenges in August. Best of luck with it. I'm loving reading all the top 10 lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really fun to see people's lists, and I can't wait to share the final 100... whatever they may be! :)

      Delete
  10. Fab! Looking forward to joining in, I have a couple of titles lined up. The database is a great resource, but I don't think I could see Vivian by Christina Hesselholdt from Fitzcarraldo Editions? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, maybe it wasn't on the website when I added them? Weird! Now fixed.

      Delete
  11. I've added information about Women in Translation Month to the Classics Club Blog events page and Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's wonderful! These are definitely two categories with a healthy (and exciting!) overlap. :)

      Delete

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to an increase in spam. Sorry!