Friday, March 30, 2012

Ursula K. Le Guin on eBooks

While I don't necessarily agree with everything she says about eBooks, this is still a very interesting post by the ever-brilliant Ursula K. Le Guin about the "death" of the book:
When we hear about the death of the book, it might be a good idea to ask what “the book” is. Are we talking about people ceasing to read books, or about what they read the books on — paper or a screen?

Reading on a screen is certainly different from reading a page. I don’t think we yet understand what the differences are. They may be considerable, but I doubt that they’re so great as to justify giving the two kinds of reading different names, or saying that an ebook isn’t a book at all.

4 comments:

  1. That really was a good and thoughtful essay. I"ve always liked Le Guin. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the "death of the book" has been exaggerated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great essay, thanks for sharing it. I quite agree. I think I read more thoughtfully on a Kindle because I can highlight and look words up, etc. I also know that kids are reading more on E-readers than they did on regular books, so that has to mean something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Le Guin, too. I think that the book will survive, but the format may change. And I think that's fine. If reading on an electronic device makes it easier for people to pick up books and read and think differently about the world, then I'm all for it, regardless of format!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to an increase in spam. Sorry!